Homeowners know that in dealing with repairs and upkeep, catching the problem promptly and fixing it fast are reliable money-saving strategies. Overlooking a maintenance or repair issue can lead to much more costly repairs down the road and could even possibly put you or your tenants in danger.
One problem that could surprise property owners and residents if mold is developing in the residence. Since it begins slowly and grows gradually, frequently inside walls or hidden in other structures, specific molds can apparently go from invisible to a serious health hazard in the snap of your fingers.
There are many mold types, but the toxic variety is known as Black Mold or Stachybotrys atra. Usually slimy greenish-black or gray in appearance, toxic mold thrives in damp sections in the residence, including leaky roofs, pipes, or windows, or even under floors and in ceilings if there was a flood or leak. Black Mold releases an unfriendly musty odor and, when present, can severely constrain your ability to guarantee a rental property’s safety. It is important to recognize that Stachybotrys molds are not always black, meaning molds of varying colors could also be unsafe. In other words, there’s no way to know just by looking whether you’re dealing with toxic or harmless mold.
While mold typically is very common in damp indoor environments, Stachybotrys is less common than other mold species, including Cladosporium, Penicillium, Aspergillus, and Alternaria. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) don’t have numbers concerning how often Stachybotrys molds are discovered in buildings, but it’s less common than ostentatious media reports would want to admit.
The presence of toxic mold is a serious health concern. The CDC reports associate the presence of mold in the residence and serious health effects, including respiratory problems (coughing or wheezing, throat irritation, nasal stuffiness), eye irritation, or skin irritation. Individuals with allergies, asthma or lung disease may be even more severely affected, resulting in serious lung infections or other life-threatening conditions.
Due to the risk posed by toxic mold, it’s important to get a handle on the outbreak as fast as possible. As a landlord, you may be held responsible if you know of the mold’s presence in a rental home but do not take the proper steps to deal with it.
Past legal liability, toxic mold can lead to severe damage to a rental home if left unimpeded. Mold flourishes well wherever a steady stream of moisture is present. It can grow on cardboard, ceiling tiles, wallpaper, upholstery, and carpet. It can also grow on wood products, like the wood inside walls and floors, on insulation, and even on drywall and paint. With so much at stake in your rental homes, it’s essential to do regular upkeep that includes good mold prevention strategies.
Call the Experts
Oddly enough, a number of property management companies don’t consider mold a serious problem. They may attempt to avoid costs by ignoring water damage or telling tenants to deal with it themselves, but mold must never be treated lightly and putting the health of your residents in jeopardy is never a good idea. The serious nature of the damages caused by ignoring mold makes it a job for a company that will work to safeguard you and your residents from unwanted consequences.
At Real Property Management Sarasota & Manatee, we know the hazards that uncontrolled growths of mold pose to rental property owners. Our team of proficient property managers and service experts in Lakewood Ranch will address the problem early and remedy it, saving you both time and money. Do you want a free assessment of your rental property? For more information, please contact us online or call us at 941-216-0005.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.