If you’re hunting for a new roommate, you know how difficult it can be to find the perfect one. You want someone reliable, responsible, and compatible with your lifestyle. How can you ensure that you find the best possible roommate for you? Here are some tips and tricks to get you started!
- Define what you’re looking for in a roommate. Make a list of qualities that are important to you and use it as a screening tool when you’re talking to potential candidates. Keep in mind to include any deal-breakers (things that would make you uncomfortable), and make it a point to ask about them when you conduct interviews. While you may have an ideal roommate in mind, you should also stay as realistic as possible. Setting your standards too high could make it difficult to locate a new roommate.
- Scan your contact list. You probably know more people than you realize who might be searching for a roommate. As a result, a good place to begin is with your list of contacts. Scan your list and determine if you already know someone who might make a wonderful roommate. Then reach out and ask them! Letting people know that you are looking for a roommate could end up locating someone who would be a perfect fit for your lifestyle.
- Ask friends and family. If you don’t know anyone searching for a roommate, that’s okay! Simply ask your friends and family if they know anyone who might be interested. Chances are, someone you know knows someone looking for a place to reside. Additionally, since your friend or family member also knows you, they might be able to recommend someone you would get along with really well.
- Use social media. To broaden your search, try using online resources like Facebook groups, Craigslist, and Reddit to let everybody know you’re looking for a roommate. You can also post a status update on your own profile or ask if anyone who follows you might know someone. Be clear about what you’re looking for, and be careful about giving out too much personal information.
- Try a roommate locating service. If you’re trying to find a roommate on your own, there are services available that can help. These services will match you with potential roommates based on your preferences and lifestyle. Several services operate in different ways, and there may be fees involved. Be sure to research any service thoroughly before you sign up.
- Choose the roommate that is the best fit for you and your lifestyle. After you’ve talked to a few potential roommates and checked out their references and rental history, it’s time to make your selection! If you’re trying to decide between more than one great option, go with your gut feeling and choose the person you think would best fit you and your lifestyle.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.